Indiana Handgun License Application Procedure
If you live outside the service district of the Hobart Police Department, you will need to contact your local law enforcement agency for permit information. Effective July 1, 2020 the handgun permit procedure is as follows.
- Apply online
- Schedule an appointment with Morpho Trust to submit your fingerprints electronically to the Indiana State Police. To schedule an appointment and view fingerprinting locations visit Morpho Trust or call 877-472-6917.
- Pay the fingerprint fee and State fee online to Morpho Trust.
- Come to the Hobart Police Department during the below listed hours to complete the application process.
Tuesday & Wednesday 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Friday & Saturday 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. (except holidays).
Please refer to our Handgun Brochure(PDF) for details.
- All NEW license applications incur a $11.95 fee for IDEMIA Electronic Fingerprinting to increase to $12.95 beginning July 1, 2020.
- The Hobart Police Department will no longer fingerprint applicants for gun permits
- You may apply no more than 180 days (6 months) before your current permit expires.
- Once submitted online you have 30 days to visit Hobart Police Department to complete the application process.
- The online application, fingerprints at Morpho Trust and Morpho Trust fees must be paid before coming to the Hobart Police Department. When you come to the Hobart Police Department during above listed hours to complete the application, bring the following:
- Application number from your online application
- Receipt from Morpho Trust for fingerprints and State fee
- Local fee (cash, check or money order only)
- Your Indiana driver’s license or State ID with your current address
- Your current permit, if applicable Local Payment Fees at the Hobart Police Department are accepted as exact cash or check.
|Firearms Licensing Fee Schedule|
Effective July 1, 2020
|License Type||Local Fee||State Fee|
|Five Year Hunting and Target||$0 / $0 Refundable*||$0|
|Five Year Personal Protection||$0 / $0 Refundable*||$0|
|Lifetime Hunting and Target / No Current License||$50 / $30 Refundable*||$25|
|Lifetime Hunting and Target / Current Valid Indiana License||$40 / $30 Refundable*||$20|
|Lifetime Personal Protection / No Current License||$50 / $30 Refundable*||$75|
|Lifetime Personal Protection / Current Valid Indiana License||$40 / $30 Refundable*||$60|
|Duplicate||Not Provided in Law||$20|
|Retired Law Enforcement Officer||Not Provided in Law||Fee Exempt**|
|Retired Corrections Officer||Not Provided in Law||Fee Exempt**|
|Firearms Dealer||Not Provided in Law||$60|
* A portion of the local fee is refundable if a license is not issued. The entire state fee is refundable if no license is issued.
** Fee exemption applies only to the initial license application. All duplicate licenses incur a fee of $20.00.
Additional Fees may apply.