- Public Works
24 Hour Compost Drop-Off at City Dump Yard
- Compost can be dropped off after normal dump yard hours
- No permits are required for compost drop-off
- Please utilize compost location inside city yard during regular hours and 24 hour drop-off location is for after hours and holidays
- Compost site is for Hobart residents only and is monitored by cameras 24 hours a day
- Dirt and sod are not accepted per City Ordinance
- Compost must be in brown compost bags. Use of plastic garbage bags is prohibited
Compost Bag Collection Program
The Compost Bag Collection Program begins April 17th and continues through November 3rd. Compost bags are collected weekly on your trash collection day.
Up to 10 compost bags will be picked up weekly. Residents that have more than 10 bags can drop them off at the free City Yard drop off or pay a special pickup fee.
Rules & Restrictions
- Compost bags are resident responsibility. The City does not supply compost bags.
- Compost bags are for grass clippings and small branches.
- Compost bags filled with dirt or rock are not accepted.
- There is a 40-pound weight limit per bag.
- Plastic bags are not accepted curbside.
** COMPOST BAG PROGRAM CHANGES **
GRASS-CYCLING – MULCH YOUR LAWN, YOU DON’T HAVE TO BAG IT!
In an effort to reduce compost bags we encourage Grass-cycling.
- 1,000 square feet of lawn can produce 200 to 500 pounds of clippings a year.
- Grass-cycling, when done properly, clippings quickly decompose and return nutrients to the soil naturally.
- Compost bags will continue to be collected weekly on your collection day.
COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS OF GRASS-CYCLING
- Grass-cycling causes buildup. *Studies prove that grass roots are primary cause of thatch, not grass clipping.
- My lawn will look bad. *Grass-cycling actually gives you a healthier looking lawn if it is mowed, watered, and fertilized properly.
- Grass-cycling will spread disease. *The primary cause of disease spread is improper watering and fertilizing. If disease is present, infestation will occur whether you are grass-cycling or not.