Sanitary & Stormwater District
Water is fundamental to life. It is at the center of our community and our community’s spirit.
It is the mission of the Hobart Sanitary and Stormwater Management districts to protect and manage our city’s water resources for all of our people and for those yet to come.
Our department strives:
- To provide cost effective and efficient treatment of wastewater in an environmentally sound manner
- To provide necessary maintenance for the wastewater collection and storm water collection systems
- To provide for the growth of Hobart by making plans for future wastewater and stormwater needs
- Through the creation and performance of best management practices, to protect the watershed of the city
- To provide the greatest value to our citizens
Service Line Responsibilities
The customer is responsible for the sewer service from the house to the sewer main, including the tap. All service work requires a sewer permit. If the customer’s house is across the street from the sewer main and the sewer service runs under the asphalt/pavement, the customer is responsible for obtaining a sewer permit and a road cut permit if the customer needs to rip up the street asphalt to affect repairs. Both permits are available at the Building Department at 414 Main Street, second floor, Hobart, IN 46342.
If the sewer service work also requires ripping up the sidewalk in front of the customer’s house, the customer is responsible for replacing the sidewalk. The Sewer Department is only responsible for the sewer main itself.
Sanitary & Stormwater District Board
Meetings are at 5 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month in Hobart City Hall Council Chambers, Second Floor:414 Main Street
Hobart, IN 46342.
Please fill out and turn in the following form one week prior to meeting date to be added to the Sanitary & Stormwater District Board Agenda.